Monday, February 25, 2008

Post # 3

1. I surprisingly enjoyed writing in the play format. I liked how there was so much room for creativity with the stage directions. I thought it was cool how you were totally in charge of how the story was to be acted out. It is amazing how much a story can change depending on the set, delivery of the lines etc. There were some aspects of play format that I found frustrating. For example, I usually write with a lot of description and not as much dialogue. It was frustrating to me to focus mainly on the dialogue. It also frustrated me that I could not display or explicitly say a character's thoughts or reactions.

2. If it were to give a ten year old advice about growing up in this world, this is what it would be. I would stress the importance of accepting, and more importantly respecting who you are. It is wasted energy trying to be someone you are not, or trying to silence something that comes natural to you in order to conform to how others act. In my own experience, I have found that everyone is innately very different- there is not point in trying to cover that up. I think it is sad when you see someone with potential in something and they do not embrace it because they feel different.

3. It amazes me when literary works written hundreds of years ago, are still present in people’s reading lists. I think that what makes literary works last so long are the storyline and the lessons that are behind it. I think that the collaboration of good technique (sentence structure and how something is written) and honest exploration behind human behavior makes great literature. By “exploration behind human behavior” I mean that the author explores how humans perceive things, react towards things or think. I cannot foresee my writing lasting in a hundred years.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

I really like the advice that you would give to a 10 year old. I liked the part about wasted energy -- I would folllow that advice and I'm 18...very creative!

Mr. Miles said...

I like your advice to a 10 year old. Wasn't it Emerson who said "Envy is ignorance"? I think that's advice many adults need as well!

siena said...

I agree with you about how fun and easy it was to write in play format! Also, I think that the advice you give to a 10 year old is really good, they need to accept and respect respect themselve for a lot of the better stuff to happen.

siena said...

ps i really liked your play!

Adele said...

I really like you opinion that the structure of the play really does make a play last forever. I also agree with you that the historic information that the author finds inspires and amazes readers.