Friday, March 7, 2008

Post # 4

1.) Myself as a writer. I enjoy reading poetry and short stories. I do not enjoy reading plays, however, I like watching plays. I also like to read novels but I am a really slow reader so sometimes longer stories are hard for me to stick with. I like to write short stories though. I enjoy writing outside of school a lot. It all depends on how much free time I have though. I write more in the summer time or on vacations when there are not a lot of definite plans. Topics that most intrigue me are interactions between strangers. That seems rather broad and random but I think you can learn so much from the people that you do not even know and I enjoy exploring different ways of that.

2.) I was not here to get the writing territories sheet so I decided to pick a random topic. The topic that I pick to write about is my grandma.

I walked into the yellow room with intense sunshine coloring the walls and surfaces in white light. My grandma ushers me to a mint green couch and I take my seat. The apartment still smells of fresh paint.  Today is another day in the nursing home.  
"Kelsey, so tell me."  She pats my hand.  "How are things in your life?"  A high pitch sound starts to beep.  Two nurses come in through the door.  
"Where is he?"
"He is sitting in the other room," my grandma said.  The two nurses walk swiftly into the other room.
"Is grandpa still having problems?"
"Oh yes.  That man is so strong, he will get through it."
"Yeah he is," ushering to a painting of a man above the tv, "that is such a good place for that gram."
"Thank you.  I thought so too.  Where did I get that again?"
". . . Mark painted it grandma.  Your son."
"Oh right, yes how is Mark?"

3 comments:

siena said...

I agree with what you said about how it depends on how much free time we have with how much we can write because if there are a lot of tests for school or a lot of homework then its harder to write than if it was summer. I really like the description you used when you wrote about your grandma.

Lindsey said...

The story about your grandma is very touching. It's so hard as people age because their memory declines.

Adele said...

I agree that plays are much better to watch than read! I also like that you mentioned that stories that interest you are when they are about two strangers because that was just like your play, which I really liked by the way!