Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Post #2- Luigi Pirandello

1.) Theme is very important in what you write. The theme is the substance to your writing- it is the reason writing is written. The point to any writing is for the writer to try to and express ideas with his/her reader. The theme and ideas in writing can teach the reader valuable lessons on how and how not to act. A piece of writing is great when it makes its readers think about ideas or examples in a new and interesting way. For example, I think that the novel "The Great Gatsby" is a great piece of writing because it makes you take a deeper look at the socialite society that Daisy and Tom live in.

2.) I am not sure about the theme that I might consider writing about in my play yet. I find it more interesting to read about character who have internal conflicts. I think that reading about characters who have self vs. self conflicts is interesting to read sometimes because it is more subtle and the audience gets to see how the internal struggle in a character affects them on the outside. For example, if the audience can know the characters inner thoughts and insecurities it is interesting to see how that character reacts in situations and with other characters. I have not decided what kind of a theme I am going to write, but I know that I want to have a self vs. self conflict.

3.) I already addressed what type of conflict I am going to write about (self vs. self) but I am not sure the exact conflicts I am going to write about. Some possible conflict ideas could be the character struggling to accept another character's personality, opinions, culture, etc. Another possible internal conflict could be the character's insecurity with themselves and then the audience could see how the character deals with that on the outside.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I think it is a good idea to have self vs. self conflict. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

siena said...

I agree that self vs. self conflict is very interesting to read about and see how the characters grow throughout the play. Also, I agree with what you said about theme and how it is needed to convey a deeper message otherwise it would just be random dailogue that doesn't really lead anywhere. Your conflicts sound really interesting!

Adele said...

I really like your idea of a person having to deal with culture because that is something that really does happen a lot all over the world!

Lindsey said...

Good job on describing theme. I especially liked the part when you said, "The theme is the substance to your writing- it is the reason writing is written". That really made me think. Theme is a very important part and you have addressed that well!