Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Edina's Night Life

Today like most days recently, I have been thinking about my future and how my life will change. Next fall, approximately five months from now, I will be at college. I am going to Boston University. It will be totally different from anything I have ever done. It will be different because I will have so much responsibility and freedom- more than I have ever had or known. It also will be different because Boston University is very urban. I have lived in Edina my whole life. People refer to it as a “bubble”. There will be so much more diversity there versus Edina which will be interesting.
Lately I have noticed that there is no night life in Edina. Everything closes by 10. Even Lunds, formally open 24 hours, closes at 12 now! The only thing open past 10 (with the exception of Lunds) is Perkins. I am someone who loves to stay up late, and for me, one single restaurant is not enough entertainment for nights after ten for ever. People usually just go over to other people’s houses which I like, but I am kind of ready for a change. Granted, it may be more claustrophobic feeling in the winter time because people can’t hang out outside because of the cold. I feel like Edina and maybe most suburbs are a good place for kids to grow up. But after you get to a certain age, high school and college, the suburb life (at least at night) does not seem to accommodate. Sorry if I am rambling but I just hate how after 9 pm sometimes, there is no one on the streets, everyone is in their houses.
You don’t realize how different this is until you see other places. For example, New York City. The subway runs all night for a reason. They say that the city never sleeps and I think that is so comforting. The idea that you are surrounded by people who are awake seems cool to me. Also, last summer, my family went to Spain. In Spain, people stay up later. They don’t eat dinner until 10 or 11 at night. My sister lived with a family there this summer and she said that at midnight the whole town would be at the town square hanging out. She said that whole families with young children were out. It is just a cultural difference which I think is really cool.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I agree with you, Kelsey! Edina night life is slowing down SO much. I would love to travel to Spain or live in New York. The night life is never ending!