Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Stories

Part One:
Stories are important to children because they encourage them to use imagination. People read stories to children because I think it is a way to preserve their innocence. It depends on the story, but most children’s books are innocent and have some sort of lesson or moral. Reading stories are a way to teach kids things also. By reading stories kids get ideas how they would handle situations and they can remember those ideas when they have a real life experience.


Part Two:
I think that older people read stories as a break from reality, out of boredom, out of curiosity. Reading a good book is such a good feeling. When you get into a good book, you seem to be absorbed in the story. I love that feeling.

Part Three:
Stories are so important in our nation because I think they give people new insights on a custom, culture, or problem and they also make people feel connected. People feel connected with the speaker in book if they share the same problems. The popular books fit into our nation’s identity because the books that people want to read are most likely to touch on a current event or issue in society.

Part Three:
My dad bought me a book called “Cinderellie”. It was a version of Cinderella but it compared perfect Cinderella to her not so perfect step sister Cinderellie. It has a good moral to it and I remember always loving the pictures. I associate this book with my dad because he gave it to me as a gift. It is special because I know he picked it out.

Part Four:
1. Stories should have descriptive diction
2. Stories should not be formulaic
3. Stories should have a catching intro
4. Stories should have a conclusion that successfully ends how the author wants the story to end (in suspense, setting up for a sequel, tying all the loose ends)
5. There should be at least one form of conflict , whether it gets resolved or not is up to the author
6. The main character should learn something, whether the character explicitly realizes it our not is up to the author
7. The story should flow smoothly (unless author intentionally chooses a different rhythm which enhances meaning)

3 comments:

siena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adele said...

I agree that a great characteristic of a story is when a story can flow very smoothly because a story just sucks if it doesn't make sense at all. Also I liek your thinking that when some adults read, it can break them from reality.

siena said...

I like all your characteristics of a well told story! Hah that's like exactly what I usually look for in a book.. Cinderellie sounds like a good book, different from the regular Cinderella!